Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fantasy Preview: the Miami Dolphins

The premise is simple: I'll tell you what players you can confidently start the season with, and what players should cause your stomach to wobble if you have to start them.

Miami Dolphins
2006 stats at NFL.com and pro-football-reference.com

There are only two Dolphin fantasy players/positions worth starting week one.

The Defense: It's not a great starting defense, but usually good enough. There are playmakers capable of turnovers and sacks, and since Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas have been there, the defense usually does pretty well in fantasyland.

Ronnie Brown (RB): he disappointed fantasy owners last season, but I know at least one fantasy owner that was insanely frustrated with the way Nick Saban and his coaching staff used him in the red zone. He might take off this season. He’s still young and extremely talented, and I’d be happy to start him week one.

Trent Green? You‘re living in the past, man. I don’t trust Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, or Ted Ginn, Jr. to do anything for my fantasy team; I’d probably want to bring some antacid if I’m starting any Dolphin WRs week one.

When I look at the Dolphins, I think Dan Marino must be spinning in his grave. Yes, I know Marino is alive, but I’m using a worn-out metaphor and I’m not attempting to make any clear coherent point (in fact, I'm being deliberately vague), so the reality behind the worn-out cliche (which is so worn-out it doesn't even invoke an image anymore) is immaterial to that sentence.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    watching ronnie brown play you see his size and speed and great hands. there's no reason why he shouldn't have a top 10 year. or a top 5 year. that said, last year broke my heart.

    rk

    ReplyDelete