Friday, August 24, 2007

Up around the bend

This has really snuck up on me: are you people aware that there will be a real NFL football game in less than two weeks (for many of us this also means school starts in less than two weeks, which is another sneaky bit of calendar reality, but I digress)? The season starts on Thursday, September 6th when the Colts host the Saints. Everybody else opens the season the following Sunday and Monday. I can hardly believe it's already that close.

It doesn't matter to me terribly who wins the Saints-Colts game (I suppose an NFC team losing is preferable): the exciting part of this game is that it is a fantasy football maelstrom. For the Colts, sure starts include Peyton Manning, Joseph Addai, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Adam Vinatieri, with Dallas Clark a possible start. For the Saints sure starts include Drew Brees and Marques Colston, I would think Reggie Bush will also be a fantasy starter, and I suspect many people will start Deuce McAllister, the Saints' kicker, and even Devery Henderson.

That's some offensive talent we'll get to watch. The first game we watch features fun teams to watch and massive fantasy interest. I am just smiling like Buddha in anticipation.

I hope you spent your off-season well: hopefully you read some good books, spent time with friends and family, sought out spiritual fulfillment, yada yada yada. If not, you've still got a couple weeks left. But it's almost time to tone down the other aspects of our lives as the NFL season takes over our existences. Yes, we all still have our "real" lives (for me there are still classes to teach, papers to grade, a child to raise)--just not on Sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment