Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A brief note on this Favre messiness

I don't pay much attention to the off-the-field sins of professional athletes; that's not why I follow sports. As such, I've rarely written about such matters on this blog (a major exception was the Michael Vick dog-fighting story, which I took an interest in for obvious personal reasons). If I don't write about the Favre allegations, it's not because I'm in denial or defensive mode: it's that I don't care enough to say much or come up with a very original take. I'd rather talk about the game of football. This shouldn't bother you, either: if you want to follow the story, there are plenty of places where you can, but I don't think that's why you read this blog either.

I will say this though: I don't think disparaging Jenn Sterger is either fair or helpful. Whatever acts Brett Favre committed are, after all, on him; scorn directed at Sterger over this matter is, in my view, undeserved. If you are directing angry and hateful words at Sterger, I think it reflects poorly on you, not her.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57 PM

    Who hasn't sent pictures of their junk to a fine lady one was interested in?

    -- Oh, yeah, anyone with half a brain.

    But, according to SNL, d*ck in a box is the gift most men think should be given to their significant other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:03 PM

    to me, the only story is if he is suspended. otherwise, i know enough about life to not expect anyone to act the way you dream they will. "fans" will trash favre no matter what he did off the field until he starts winning games. once he starts winning games "fans" will go back to lavishing praise. people only care about how good you look moment to moment.

    rk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with the admonition against bashing Sterger.

    What happened between the two of them happened between the two of them and Anonymous is correct that the story that should be center is one that hasn't been (and hopefully won't be) printed yet: Favre's suspension.

    Also: why is it that the way she dresses an invitation to abuse related to the allegations? Do women who want to look good invite harassment (if that is the case)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, KernelReefer, that gets at why angry critiques of Sterger really bother me.

    It's an old and ugly tendency: when there is an accusation of sexual harassment, people question the motives and character of the target/victim of the harassment--as if that matters, as if we should only be concerned about sexual harassment when it is directed against the purest of the pure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:03 PM

    You're absolutely right. Let's please leave disparaging remarks about the constantly scantily clad slut out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, anonymous: gendered slurs like "slut" are exactly the sort of thing that reflect poorly on the speaker.

    And as we've said, what does how she's dressed have to do with a coworker allegedly sexually harassing her? I certainly hope you're not implying that dressing a certain way would make a woman deserve to have a coworker send unsolicited pictures of his junk to her (allegedly), or that a woman dressing a certain way would somehow diminish the blame on a man that would sent unsolicited pictures of his junk to her (allegedly).

    More broadly speaking, in this particular case, what is the motive to disparage Sterger? Why do it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I'm writing in a preachy, holier-than-thou tone that I find off-putting even in myself.

    My point is this: I don't think vitriol directed at Sterger is fair, it seems like a strange shift in focus/blame, and I question the motive or purpose of attacking Sterger in this particular case.

    ReplyDelete